Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Choosing the Difficult Path--Our Journey Over A Mountain

Have you ever wondered if it's really necessary to make ourselves do difficult things?  Have you ever thought that the easy way is the better way?  Have you tried to shield your children from life's challenges?  I have--lots of times.  This last week I gained a new perspective on why it's so important to do hard things.


Our family was blessed to all be involved in our youth "Trek" for our church.  For three days the youth in our congregation gathered together for a journey that covered over 26 miles--nearly 9 of them up and over a mountain as they pulled a traditional pioneer handcart loaded with their supplies.  I'll let you in on a little secret:  I hate camping.  Like so, so, much.  I don't like sleeping under the stars with not even a tent to zip up to keep the bugs at bay.  I don't like going 4 days without a shower (remember how vain I am?) And I really, really, really HATE using a porta potty.  The only thing worse is going in the woods--which I did for the first time in my 43 years of living.  (TMI?)

(That's my Davis in the front, middle).

So, if I hate camping and the great outdoors so much, why do I love Trek?  Because it teaches us to do hard things.  And this was hard.  I've been on treks before and they were challenging.  This was beyond challenging.  I don't even know that I have words to adequately describe it, but I'll try.  For this adventure the youth, ages 12-18 are divided into "families" with each family having a Ma and Pa.  Four families make up a "company" and Dave and I were captains of a company. We got a front row seat to the adventure and it was priceless.  On the day of the handcart portion of the trek, the youth donned pioneer clothes and then walked over 5 miles to where their handcarts were parked.  From there they loaded all of their gear and we set out for what would turn out to be an 8.5 mile journey up and over a mountain on logging roads.  There were hills--so, so many hills and pulling the handcarts for over 8 hours up and over those hills pushed these kids to the max.  Some broke down.  Some cried.  Blisters and sunburns were a common theme.  And yet, they did it.  Working together they did what they thought was impossible.  And they did it with patience and love for one another.  They encouraged each other, they prayed together and they all contributed.  At times Dave and I had to help them and often we became emotional watching them struggle.  As we arrived in camp that night the sense of accomplishment was astonishing.

And the next day?  We hiked 12 miles over various terrain in the sun.  For some youth this was easier--for others, they wanted to give up.  But along the way, friends, "parents" and leaders stepped in to offer support.  For the last several miles I hiked with a girl on each arm and one holding onto my backpack because together we were stronger than alone.

These kids will probably never have to physically work this hard again.  They most likely won't be asked to hike 26 miles up and over a mountain while pulling a hand cart.  But they will have challenges in their life that they will want to run away from.  Or avoid.  Or give up on.  And now they know that they have it in them to face them head on and prevail.  As a parent, it is excruciating at times to watch your children experience difficult things.  We want to rescue.  We want to alleviate.  But sometimes the best thing we can do is allow them to endure it.  And when they do, they will come over that mountain stronger than they ever thought they were.


(See that mountain waaay in the distance?  That's what we hiked up and over to get to the beach.)

WHAT ARE SOME OF THE REWARDS YOU HAVE SEEN FROM LETTING YOUR CHILDREN DO DIFFICULT THINGS?  PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! What an amazing job you ALL did. So proud of you and your achievement.
    jude

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! What an amazing job you ALL did. So proud of you and your achievement.
    jude

    ReplyDelete