Monday, July 13, 2015

MOTHERHOOD--"Don't Wish It Away!"

The days can be long when you are a mom of young kids.  Diapers to change, mouths to feed, messes to clean up, and so on.  It’s draining having practically no time to yourself—“can I just go to the bathroom in peace!”  If you stay at home your adult interaction is limited to talking back to Steve on “Blues Clues” or chatting up the UPS driver because you’re starved for grown up talk.  And wherever you go you must bring 2 or 3 or in my case, 6, small children with you.  I would love to tell you that’s fun.  I would be lying if I did.



I have a vivid memory of a winter night when we were a young married couple with two children.  Dave and I were wanting a Ben and Jerry’s fix and so Dave was heading out the door to run to the store. I remember thinking, “it seems like it will be forever until Dave and I can just jump in the car and head out for a date whenever we want.”

Guess what?  Forever is here.  And it came really, really, really fast.  

One of my sons who is is on a mission for our church said there is a saying in the mission field:  “The days are long but the months are short.”  I think that describes parenthood.  When I was a mom of 6 little kids the days were so long.  And draining.  And often times a little boring.  Of course they were rewarding and tender and filled with love too.  But when I look back, the months (and years) are so short!

In 48 hours we will be welcoming Carter home from his 2 year mission to Brazil.  Our oldest son is finishing up his last five months of his mission in Chicago.  Mckay is headed to BYU in the fall which leaves us with just three teenagers at home.

This time in our life is marvelous, and crazy busy and really really difficult at times.  I’m no longer changing diapers (I think I would seriously vomit if I had to now.  What is it about being a young mom that gives you an iron stomach?)  I don’t have to wipe faces or entertain little ones and yes, I do get to go to the bathroom in peace,.  And the best thing about this stage of life?  I get to go out with my husband pretty much whenever I want!  I think we had 4 lunch dates just last week!  

Each stage of our life is precious if we recognize it for what it is.  We can’t wish away where we are at, and we can’t spend all of our time living in the past.  Instead true joy comes in the now.  The sticky kisses.  The snuggles on the couch.  The “I love you” when your teen heads out the door.  The thrill of seeing a son return home from a two year life of service.  


So live in the now, people.  Live in the now.

No comments:

Post a Comment