Saturday, June 1, 2013

Pinterest is of the devil


The man who invented Pinterest is a genius.  An evil genius.  Here is a place where people from all over the world can "pin" cute pictures of anything.  Like penguin pinatas.  I am not making that up--who knew there was a community of people who make penguin pinatas?  I have a serious love/hate relationship with pinterest.  On one hand, whenever I need a recipe or fun craft there is a wealth of information.  Have a craving for Red Lobster cheese biscuits?  (Also of the devil by the way.)  Pinterest has it.  Want to know how to make the perfect "smokey eye?"  Check out my niece's make up "board." On the other hand--let the coveting begin!  There's nothing that makes me feel like the world's worst homemaker/designer than scrolling thru this guilt inducing site.  After thirty minutes  I'm headed out the door with a list of craft supplies to create crepe paper pom balls--which two years later are still only halfway done and collecting dust on the shelf in my coat closet. Honest truth.  Don't get me wrong--I love it.  But I hate it.  

Take for example my most recent search.  I was looking up ideas for my laundry room and here are a few I found:



Lovely right?  I mean, who wouldn't want to spend HOURS in one of those rooms sorting/washing/drying/folding and putting away clothes?  Because let me tell you, with six kids it is hours folks.  Especially because I have to hunt down all those socks scattered around the house.  I'm sure your'e wondering, "so what's the problem?"  I'll show you the problem:




I would love to tell you that this site is an anomaly but I would be lying.  This is my laundry room.  Ironically, it's one of my favorite rooms in the house.  When it's clean.  Which is pretty much never.  The funny thing is, I'm actually pretty good about staying on top of the laundry.  I mean, there is always at least one load in the washer and/or dryer and usually one waiting to be folded so it's not like I have baskets and baskets full of clothes to take care of.  The beauty of this room is that I have a big drawer for each of the kids so I can fold directly into their drawer.  The original plan called for them to empty their drawer every day but instead they just wander down here every morning and get dressed.  (Note--if you're planning on dropping by anytime before 8:00 am you may want to call ahead to avoid half dressed teenagers...)

The real problem with this room is that it's the general dumping ground for coats, shoes, backpacks and various odds and ends in addition to the laundry.  And so tonight while looking thru pinterest I was once again discouraged because I'm pretty sure my house is never going to look like the ones I find there.  Maybe I should start a 'real life' pinterest.  With pictures of bathrooms with the toilet seats up, old pizza boxes beneath a teen's bed and a pair of underwear under the piano.  (Which may or may not be a regular occurrence at the Morgans...)  Who knows, maybe women will hail me as an unsung hero--a discouraged mother whose not afraid to show the world how we really live!  But probably not.



In the meantime, I'd love to hear how you all stay on top of your laundry rooms.  Because there has got to be a solution.  Pinterest says so.

4 comments:

  1. I wish I had a laundry room. Mine is in the garage and I hate it out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My "laundry room" is an alcove outside the bathroom. I love that you have drawers in yours. My "drawers" are the arms of the living room chair--and they're always full! Luckily, nobody is tempted to get dressed in the living room, but they do come down every morning to dig through their piles for stuff to wear. I wish they'd take their pile upstairs with them when they go, but maybe when pigs fly...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure there is no solution. We do have the rule though that if they don't put it in the laundry basket it's not getting clean. I do not hunt around the house for dirty socks. My laundry room is a disaster zone. Inside the cupboards it's nice and clean. But I have 2 baskets for dirty linens (and the occasional sock,) a basket that holds the last load to come out of the dryer, an empty basket on top of the dryer for collecting the next load to go in and my drying rack lives on top of the counter. I fold the clothes in the family room and the baskets of clean clothes live there. I'm beginning to think that a giant laundry room/family clothes closet makes sense. Somehow I don't think Jake will agree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I realized that I sound a little whiny. I want to clarify that I am very grateful for a laundry room after years of not having one. I just can't figure out how to keep it clean--which seems to be a common theme around here. I keep thinking that if I find the perfect basket/shelf/hook system my problems will be solved but I'm now realizing the problem is mostly me.

    ReplyDelete