Thursday, August 29, 2013

Where Did I Put That Kid?

Do you ever feel like you're losing your mind?  Because most days I feel a little nuts.  Let me explain.  I was over at the school the other day fitting band kids for uniforms and while I can create a super organized system for outfitting 130 marchers I can't seem to keep track of my pen.  Or my measuring tape.  Or my lists.  What the heck?  And the sad thing is this isn't unusual for me.  A couple weeks ago I spent an hour looking for the can of spray paint I had in my hand literally 2 minutes prior to losing it.  Luckily I found it--two weeks later.  In my bathroom...

I was telling this to some friends the other day and I mentioned that it was a wonder I can keep track of 6 kids--and then I realized that I can't because we've lost all of them at some time.  Here's just a few of the many examples:

Church frenzy:  Every Sunday it's kind of an olympic dash to get six kids up, showered, fed (ok--who am I kidding, they don't get fed.  Just this Sunday Kennedy was sneaking peanut butter crackers during the opening hymn) dressed, loaded in the car and to church by 9:00 am.  One Sunday we arrived at church, slid into our pew and I looked over and we were missing one suit with a boy inside it.  Mr. Davis was not there.  So back home I went and proceeded to find him under a pile of blankets asleep.  In his suit.

Disneyland:  I have a whole series of experiences losing kids here but two stick out in my mind and they both involve McKay.  The first was when he was about 18 months old.  This was back in the day when Disneyland had these old rickety strollers with a canopy that prevented you from actually seeing your child once they were in the stroller--what genius invented that?  Clearly not a parent of six kids.  We were at the park with a bunch of Dave's family and I had McKay in the stroller and was headed from Tomorrowland over to the castle to meet some friends.  I got to the castle at which point our friends asked me why I was pushing an empty stroller.  I said, I wasn't, I had Mckay in there.  Only he wasn't in there--he'd hopped out somewhere between Space Mountain and the Castle.  After a few minutes of frantic searching he showed up at the Star Trader hanging out with a cast member.  Then several years later we lost him again.  One minute we were all together and the next we boarded Heimlich's Choo Choo and we only had 5 kids with us.  Mild panic set in and security was called.  I used to dress all the kids the same back then (they won't go for that so much anymore, dang it) and when they asked for a description I just said, "he looks like that one."  About 20 minutes later he turned up in the lost child center no worse for the wear.


I'd like to say I have some great insight into why I'm like this--or at least an idea of how to cure it.  But I don't because I just spent the last 7 minutes trying to remember this great idea I had for this paragraph of the blog.  I'm being serious--I just spent 7 minutes staring at the screen, wracking my brain for this clever idea I had not 10 minutes ago and it's gone.  So frustrating!  I've read about systems that are supposed to help me overcome this problem and they probably work--except I can't remember where I read that or what they are.  This is hopeless...

No comments:

Post a Comment