Sunday, October 6, 2013

I'm living in THIS?

We just got done with a fabulous visit from Dave's parents and brother this past weekend.  I tell everyone I meet that I have the world's best in-laws--it's the truth.  But what is it about having company that makes you look around your house and ask, "I've been living in THIS?"  I mean, I guess you just get used to living in your own mess and it doesn't seem that bad until you look at it through someone else's eyes.  Now don't get me wrong--my in laws are very nonjudgmental (or if they are they do a pretty good job of keeping it on the down low) so they aren't making me feel bad--I've got that covered myself.

Why is it that some people just seem to be able to always keep a clean house?  There's got to be some secret--because I see these houses on Pinterest.  And they are clean.  The problem is I have complete cleaning A.D.D.

Here's a recent example:

The other morning at about 7:30 am I decided that I would take the garbage cans and yard debris out to the curb for Dave.  He usually does it but he was under the weather so I thought I would help out.  Since we have already established that I am NOT a morning person I was still wearing my pajamas and my hair looked like I had just slept on it.  Oh wait...I had.  To further add to the ensemble the only shoes I had sitting by the front door were my black ballet flats, of course.  You already know how lazy I am so I slipped the flats on and set out to get the cans.  As I was putting the yard debris out I realized that it had been really windy and there were branches all over the yard so I figured I might as well throw those in there while I was at it.  Then I thought as long as I was doing that I might as well rake the leaves and pull some weeds (remember--the in laws were coming).  This is all happening while I am in my pajama/ballet flat/crazy hair ensemble which wouldn't have been a problem because my cul de sac is pretty deserted.  Except right then the yard maintenance guys for the neighbor showed up.  Well, I looked just fabulous and they must have felt sorry for me because they started cleaning up my leaves for me.  Well I figured I had some extra time now so I went back into the garage where I then saw my drill with the screw bit in it.  That reminded me that for the last 8 years--yes, 8 years-- I had wanted to repaint my house numbers.  So that explains why at 8:00 am I was standing on a 5 gallon bucket unscrewing house numbers and looking homeless while the neighbor paid for her guys to finish my yard work...

That is my typical MO for house cleaning.  I'll start out with one simple task and then get sidetracked by 4 others and usually the first task never gets completed!  I'll make lists and then forget to look at the list.  I'll write a reminder on my hand and then won't be able to remember what the reminder is for.  I've got problems people!  It's no wonder I keep losing all those kids at Disneyland...

Anyway--my goal for tomorrow is to see a project thru from beginning to end without getting sidetracked.  It's a lofty aspiration but with a little bit of luck and whole lot less of Pinterest it might just be attainable.

2 comments:

  1. Ok Kristyn, you do not want to be the kind of person who has a spotless house. Take it from me. My mom worked 6 days a week, kept her house spotless, you could have eaten off her garage floor but she never spent any time with us kids. I would have rather had a messy house and my mom then that. Which explains why my house is such a pit all the time. I am way too busy spending at much time with my child I can before he leaves for college. I think that is a much better use of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristyn, we had a wonderful visit, and I thought the house looked great. And I feel bad but I didn't even notice the new black house numbers. See why most things don't really matter?

    ReplyDelete