Monday, January 23, 2017

Snowmageddon





It was Snowmageddon here.  Or the Storm of the Century or Snowpocolypse.  I can't remember what the news stations actually called it but it was dramatic and for once here in the Pacific Northwest, they weren't too far off base.  See, in this part of the country snow is a bit of rarity and when you see the forecast calling for some snowflakes you think only one thing:  Snow Day!  As a child you would wait for that call to come in that the 1/2 inch of snow dust coating the roads meant the busses couldn't possibly get out and you get the blessed day off.  Heaven!

Well, this year Heaven lasted more than a week.

That's right folks and that week came right on the heels of Christmas break.

I felt sorry for my friends who are moms of little kids.  Because I get it, I do.  You've just survived having them home for two weeks and are looking forward to getting them back on schedule and a few precious hours to yourself where you don't have to police sibling squabbles or constantly feed and pick up after them.  I've been there.  I mean you're talking to a woman who used to pray for all day kindergarten only to have it become a reality the year AFTER her youngest started to school.  It was like the kindergarten gods were mocking me because we all know half day kindergarten is really just kindergarten hell--not enough time to actually get anything done and not worth the trouble of getting the kid up, fed, dressed and to the bus stop on time.  (I might be a little bitter about this still...)

But snow days with teenagers?  That's a whole different story.  Let me tell you what THAT looks like:

*sleeping in (for Mom too)
*no lunches to make
*late night movies and puzzle making
*no nagging to complete homework
*no mom taxi service

And the best thing of all:

*no nighttime obligations.  School concerts, games, meetings are all cancelled when school cancels and that means a rare quiet night at home.

It's funny how quickly life changes without you even noticing.  It honestly doesn't seem like that long ago that I was listening to Nick Jr and praying the district would abolish teacher in-service days so I could get some peace and quiet.  So I loved Snowmageddon for what it was.  A chance to enjoy the blessings of being the mom of a house full of teenagers.  And the sleeping in.  Let's not forget the sleeping in.


No comments:

Post a Comment