Wednesday, April 19, 2017

What's Next? (I wish I knew).



I'm in a funk.  Not in a clinical depression type of a funk--more like a "yoga pants wearing, chocolate eating, Dateline viewing" type of funk.  The best way I can describe it is that I feel like there is something I am supposed to be doing.  I just can't figure out what that something is, exactly.

It stands to reason that it's some sort of mid life crisis.  After all, more than half of my kids are now adults and in four short years we will be empty nesters.  We have our first grandchild on the way,  I've got a few wrinkles and yesterday I threw my back out bending over.  Just bending over... Change is coming.  I'm just not sure what that change is for me and it's making me a little (ok a lot) crazy.

I've read a pile of self improvement books, listened to a boat load of podcasts and done a lot of soul searching.  Someone told me I should try meditation to bring on enlightenment.  All it did was bring on a nap.  (I think I did it wrong.)  I've prayed, counseled with my husband and spent way too much time pondering in my head.  And here is what I've come up with:

Nothing.

Well, except for the idea that this is teaching me patience and God isn't going to leave me hanging.  Most of my life I've sort of been going full steam ahead with being the busy mom of 6.  I've wiped a million rear ends, made thousands of lunches, chaperoned more than my share of field trips and helped at more PTA activities that I can count.  I've chaired events, raised money for band trips, chauffeured children to a mind boggling number of practices, and I've figured out that right now is my time to take a breath.  There is something waiting for me right around the corner and when it gets here it will be perfect for me, tailor made to help me stretch and grow and develop my talents.  I've just got to trust in the process and relax.

But in the meantime, I've got a Snickers bar to eat and Dateline to watch.


No comments:

Post a Comment